View Single Post

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Stop fooling around with aftermarket main springs, you don't need them.

Items to purchase. 1) Cylinder & Slide extended length firing pin. This pin features a round tip and won't pierce a primer as long as you reduce the DA trigger pull to less than 10 lbs. 2) A brand spanking new Strain Screw. BTW I suggest purchasing the blued version instead of stainless because they are a bit harder and the tip won't peen over as quickly with use. I also suggest that you purchase at least 3 because if you go overboard it's good to have a fresh one on hand for a "do over". 3) A 14 lbs. Rebound spring and a tool to install it. BTW, I've heard a philips head screwdriver can be used but the proper tool is a huge timesaver and likely a spring saver. Because those springs are nearly as quick as a bullet when they pop loose. 4) Not a must but I also STRONGLY suggest purchasing the Lyman Digital Trigger gage so you know exactly what your weight is at.

Procedure. Install the 14 lbs Rebound spring and then the original factory mainspring. Take your first new strain screw and measure the overall length with some calipers. Now take a hand file or Dremel and shorten the tip to reduce the overall length by 0.020 inch. Note, after shortening the strain screw you will want to put a small chamfer all the way around the tip so it will start in the threads in the frame easier. I use a small diamond file to add this chamfer. Install this Strain Screw and measure the DA trigger Pull. You should see a reading right about 10.0 lbs. Now remove the Strain screw and shorten it by another 0.005 inch. Now install it again and measure the DA trigger pull. What you are looking for is a DA trigger weight of 9.25-9.5 lbs. This is about 3 lbs. lighter than the original factory setting and is heavy enough that you'll get reliable ignition with almost any pistol primer on the market.

Now, if you want to get the DA trigger down to 8 lbs. you'll have to do some shooting to leave some wear marks in the frame recess and on the sideplate. You may also have to remove the Lock, because they can drag on the hammer. Anywhere you see rub marks you are seeing the result of drag on the hammer and you need to address that. One easy way to clean up a drag problem is to install a small round shim about 0.0015 inch thick on the hammer pivot pin on the side where the drag is showing. There is enough clearance in most of these revolvers to permit some shimming of the hammer to get it centered perfectly. However, I would not install any shim thicker than 0.003 inch. You also want to keep the outer diameter of the shim at 0.25 inch or less, because small diameters create less drag than large. Finally, with an N frame it's been my experience that an 8 lbs. DA trigger requires the use of ammunition featuring Federal primers, if you try shooting Remington ammo you'll probably have issues with misfires. CCI primers at present lie between Federal and Remington for hardness and are a bit closer to Federal in ease of ignition. Use CCI primers and you'll probably find the reliable ignition point is about 8.5 lbs.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: