View Single Post

Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

"I think it was quite nicely done."
Everything within perspective. The manufacturing quality of the rib is superior to the installation. That isn't up to snuff on a factory level.

The tolerance at the back where the rib was tucked under the frame is a bit excessive. Almost 1mm and the shroud cut is not quite perpendicular. However, were it not for the yellow colour of the brass it wouldn't stick out nearly as bad under normal vision/lighting. Though I like the simplicity of anchoring the back of the rib w/frame.

If the barrel crown was left, or if a cut barrel were another crown cut, it would make a world of difference in perception. Still wouldn't be factory quality though it would be a lot closer. The unknown for me is the rib. I don't know what it is or what it was before this application. The hand checkering though not elaborate is a nice touch. As is the lateral crown instead of a flat topped rib. The barrel pin ends filed smooth then blued mimics newer models. Just another little touch of someone's preference/imagination/vision.

Overall it represents an honest effort to add a little pizzazz to an old shooter. I do not know the condition nor circumstances prior to the work being performed. Probably a safe bet that they overextended their skill level a wee bit. I'm relatively confident that the sight base didn't originally come w/blunt front shaped as a tuning fork, but what do I know?

Combined w/customizing is unaltered .38 S&W chambers when folks were drilling them left and right to accept the longer 38 spl. A mite peculiar, yet I am not qualified to judge. Somebody manufactured that rib and they were bound to have made a few.

Last edited by Nicksterdemus; 06-23-2014 at 05:33 PM.