View Single Post

Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 AM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

Yes, a ferrous metal sheet that is magnetic. A mild steel that is shaped in a crown, flat, rolled edges and ninety degrees adorned w/diamond etched pattern within a rectangle border.

This is the construction I see, w/10x loupe, from the rear where the rib was pierced along the top and sides. The yellow is brilliant as in not tarnished especially under direct light.

It appears that sheetmetal was stamped under pressure by a die and that hollow shape was poured w/brass. Then a blank could've shaped the brass side for fit to barrel radius/taper or placed in a jig cutting the shape to fit. The block style front base might require some solder at the tip to retain shape before pouring.

This is all speculation based on what I can see and how it could be manufactured. As previously noted the width of the barrel at muzzle is considerably thicker than a six inch 38 spl muzzle from 1946.

Due to that I wonder if this is a cut barrel w/blade sight spot welded in place. Grind the welds/muzzle smooth and position the tuning fork front base w/relative ease. As opposed to five inch barrel having the sides of the base cut.

I'm not sure of the differences twixt 5 & 6" .38 S&W barrels. Can one tell by looking other than the length?

If this is the rib in it's entirety then it is a conversion piece. And it would seem designed either for a cut 6" barrel or a 5" that had the front sight base either completely removed w/blade sight tacked on or the sides cut and the muzzle/front of base ground to the blade sight. Or the rib base is a cap that covers the original front sight base and by being split incorporates the existing sight blade.

Whatever it is there has to be a few more out there floating around on top of something.

Here's a pic from a slightly different angle.
ETA: I know you aren't obtaining the same resolution that I have from the pic. I tried taking pics in direct sunlight, but was too bright washing detail turning the yellow into opaque. I did confirm the sheetmetal w/loupe, led flashlight and the point of a razor knife. So, there's no possibility that the entire rib is brass w/some type of coating and way too thick for electroplating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheathed brass rib.jpg (63.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 38 SW 38spl.jpg (62.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg muztomuz.jpg (82.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Nicksterdemus; 06-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.