View Single Post

Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

Years ago some close friends lived next door. The lady was going through some mental issues. Long story short, she had told me she was "thinking" of going someplace, didnt have her mind made up, but if she did go she would tell me to check on the place etc. I already had a key as I and her husband were best friends and worked together. He was out in the field for our outfit.
A week or so went by and I didnt see or hear from her. Finally I checked out the house. I instantly got the dry heaves! I thought she must be dead, the house was all tore up and so dirty you couldnt believe it. I braced myself to find a DB and covered my mouth and checked the bedrooms. A freezer was in a spare bedroom with the door open and the unit had quit, all meat defrosted and rotten. It was the worst smell I ever experienced and I couldnt quit heaving. I got some mutual friends together and they tried putting coffee grounds in the air cooler and that made it somewhat bearable to clean out the house, which about three of my friends wives did.
We had a high security type job and supposedly even wives werent suppose to know where we were at times. I went through channels to contact my bro and at the same time he was trying to get ahold of me. His wife had tracked him down and decided to visit a relative of hers that was near to where he was. She went totaly out of her mind and he was in big trouble with her. They had to specially fly her to their hospital. I believe it was Addison`s disease? It was the first bout with it and it affected her several more times through the years. Anyway, the coffee grounds saved the day.