View Single Post

Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Liked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Default Early 1900's Employee Records ?

I realize that the bulk of SWHF's efforts are geared towards archiving the S&W product line and providing a comprehensive database of mfg. & sales details, but I just thought I would ask if you possess, have access, or know where I can locate the early 1900's employee rosters, records or photographs.

I have a bit of an interesting family history in that my Great-Grandfather (Erving Grover) was a machinist for S&W for quite a few years before his death in 1935. The interesting part is that his employment at S&W caused a rift in the family between himself and his eldest brother, my Great-Uncle, (Lewis C. Grover) who rose from a machinist at Eli Whitney Arms Co. to President and Chairman of the Board of Colt's Patent Firearms & The Gattling Gun Company from 1902 until his death in 1909.

My Great-Grandfather was the only brother of four who didn't work at Colt's. Which as family lore has it, caused Lewis to refer to Erving as the "Family Traitor" for many years.

Thankfully Colt's Staff Historians have provided me with some documents and photographs pertaining to my G-Uncles Lewis, George & Edwin during their employment at Colt, but I have yet to locate anything pertaining to my GG-Father's time with S&W. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Derek M. Grover
Early 1900's Employee Records ?-lewis_c_grover-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lewis_C_Grover.jpg (156.7 KB, 315 views)