View Single Post

Old 07-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

As mentioned above, one of the advantages of the two piece barrel is that the shroud/site can be held vertical while the barrel is tightened, eliminating canting of the front site. Unfortunately, whoever put my 69 together didn't get that memo. My front site is canted to the left, which also results in the ball not sitting in the detent correctly. This doesn't seem to affect lockup, but it obviously isn't right.

So I sent the gun back with a note asking for the barrel cant to be fixed and also for the burrs on the crown to be taken care of. When I got it back I could see they made a half-hearted attempt at fixing the burrs and did absolutely nothing about the canted barrel.

So that brings up a different question about the two piece barrels. Is there any special knowledge/materials/tools required to work on a gun with a two piece barrel? I suspect the 69 requires a special wrench that engages the rifling to get the barrel off, but don't know for sure. If so, that would make it much harder to find a gunsmith to work on these guns, as they would likely need a separate wrench for each caliber.

Has anyone else had a 69 with a canted front site, and if so, how did you get it fixed?