View Single Post

Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM

Liked 2,433 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I bought this gun in 1966 after I had to shoot a porcupine 6 times with the Model 10 .38 special. I kept thinking, what if he had a gun and was shooting back.
Elmer and Skeeter were bragging on the .41 Magnum round and the Model 58, and it was cheaper than a Combat Magnum back then.
I paid $81.00 for it NIB and a box of shells.

It was my sidearm for 13 years as an LEO.

It proved effective anytime I needed it.

I used hand loads mainly because the only factory loads available at the time were hunting loads and just plain nasty to shoot and I couldn't afford to buy factory ammo.

I hand loaded the rounds to levels recommended by Elmer and Skeeter at the time.
I used a 210 Sierra JHP and a dose of 2400 powder. In the 900 to 1000 FPS range.

The cartridge is effective, I've killed injured wild life and cattle. Killed a mule deer when I was in too close quarters to bring a rifle to bear.

Even did a one shot stop on a Ford Bronco way back when.That one shot went through the back of the Bronco and took out radio in the dash. The kid driving it went to the PD and said someone was chasing him and shooting at him.. The Bronco belonged to a friend, and he tried that as an excuse for the bullet hole I had put in the rig. Well..... He did stop a little while after I put only one shot into the rig after he ran me down.

The modified Magna grips that came on the gun were pretty tough on the hands and not cool back then.

I couldn't afford factory Target grips on a new cop's salary so I destroyed the PC grips to get the hardware and made the set of grips you see in the picture.
Those grips that I destroyed would probably sell for more than the gun would today.

I did a heck of a lot of practicing with that gun and got pretty handy with it. It's got the finish wear to prove it.

We got into some serious social encounters and it got me home more than once.
I have owned a beautiful blued 4" and and nickel 6" Model 57 and let them both go, but that old M&P ain't going anywhere.

My name is etched in it, and it is the last gun I will ever let go of, and that will be when I settle down for a dirt nap.
Iggy, that revolver is gorgeous. I love the patina on it, thanks for sharing some stories about her history.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: