View Single Post

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,455 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv1 View Post
You carried an 8" barreled revolver? If you had to use it you would have been deaf. I cannot see how the 22 Jet would be a good personal defense round. Cool gun though!

James
I never carried a M-53 on duty; however, I carried mine a lot for personal defense. Having seen what the Jet could do to Jack Rabbits, coyotes, and a couple of pronghorn antelope I never had any doubt that it would work. The following quotes are from an article in the 1966 GUN DIGEST TREASURY entitled "The Modern Sporting Pistol." "...............A really striking advantage of the Jet is its ability to shoot rimfire ammunition for practice, by means of steel sleeves inserted in the chambers. This is an enormous asset to the one-gun man, providing him a plinker and a hunting gun for the price of one revolver. (And don't underrate its combat potential ---- the Jet hits about twice as hard as a 38 Special." And later: ".........The four sporting pistol cartridges, then, stack up about like this: 1) The 22 Jet. Excellent for small game, larger than squirrels, ditto for varmints of the woodchuck-fox-coyote class. The only "triple-purpose" handgun equally useful for plinking, field shooting, and self defense..........". Oh yeah, the article was written by none other than Lt Col Jeff Cooper. I'd say that is a pretty good endorsement.

I have had my M-53 since 1965 and it will be the last gun I'll ever give up.

For DocAnyday: If you PM me with a snail mail address, I will send a copy of the 4 page Owner Instruction/Spec sheet that came with my M-53.