View Single Post

Old 08-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Okay; first question: What animal are we trying to cook for dinner?
Second: What ranges are we expecting to shoot?
Third: Expected cover, or open country, tree stand, box blind, or shooting from behind concealment like brush?

Since I would have to wait for the answers, I will give you my opinion on what would do the best for what given scenario:
Ca. big game: All copper ammo. Nosler E-tip, and Barnes TSX.
America: For hogs and deer in cover, and expected shooting thru brush, etc. I will recommend Winchester XP, as it is consistent, and I like the expansion more than Remington Core-Lokt. Federal blue or brown box is a very good choice as well, I will choose it over the Remington for accuracy. These are medium constructed bullets, so they will not come unglued if they touch a blade of grass or some leaves.
If open country, or you are looking at mostly deer hunting; I will choose Nosler ballistic tip ammo every time. Lighter bullet construction, and devastating expansion. Like pulling the pin on a grenade, and stuffing it into the deer's lungs. Any decent shot, and you won't have to chase the animal more than say 20 feet........

The key to which weight and which brand will fall upon you doing some bench testing. More important than ANYTHING else is consistency. If a 150gr bullet is giving you a spread of only 1", but say 165gr gives you 1.5"- take the more consistent ammo, unless you are certain you are hunting monster size hogs and need every last bit of hit power. For deer, the bullet is not quite as important, as their hide is not as armored as a hog is.
The Following User Likes This Post: