View Single Post

Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Default get it lettered

Hello, I must say you have a quite interesting and appealing revolver and rig.

The "New Model Number 3" was introduced in 1878.

If yours does chamber the .44-40 it was called the "New Model No. 3 Frontier"

"Smith and Wesson expanded it's line of New Model No. 3's in 1885, when they introduced a long cylinder version of this revolver to fire the Winchester .44 center fire cartridge that is commonly called the 44-40".

"...the factory produced 2072 of these revolvers."

"The Frontier model was available in blue or nickel with barrel lengths of 4", 5", and 6 1/2"."

"Sales of this model did not meet factory expectations. In March 1895, when the factory still had in inventory more than 50% of it's original factory run, the decision was reached to convert these models from the .44 Winchester caliber to .44 S&W Russian and sell them to Japan to help fulfill an order."

"... This reduced the total number of New Model No. 3 Frontiers to only 1,286 units."

---Source-"History of Smith and Wesson', author Roy G. Jinks

It appears they began producing it in 1885, converted and sold off many to Japan by 1896, and it was still offered by the factory till 1908.

If you are not aware, the factory Historian, Roy Jinks, can be contacted and can send out a letter to you regarding this weapon. It would state the year it was shipped out, where it was sent, and the original finish-barrel length-grips-etc. Whether you have bought it to shoot, collect, or as an investment I would highly recommend this.

Also, could you post some more pictures, large clear ones. There are many who would appreciate viewing such a handsome piece such as yours, and the holster too.

The holster is also, I would gather rather rare and valuable, though I have less knowledge of these things. The following link may bring you more information

S.D. Myres Saddle Company History and Maker Marks - www.vintagegunleather.com California

Have fun, and thanks for sharing

Last edited by Rusty Shacklford; 08-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: