View Single Post

Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

I received a couple of pictures and the checkering is quite similar though a bit different. On mine the raised platform extends completely behind the blade sight and the checkering is limited/starts on the taper.

On the RI offering the taper meets the cut-out of the blade and the checkering cuts across the cut-out. The cut-out on the rear of the blade is more sweeping instead of mimicking a target style as mine. Still it employs a tuning fork arrangement in mating w/blade sight in front. Except the muzzle hasn't been lopped off as mine.

I can't post the pics as they're 4 mb and I don't have any editing software on this 'puter. The pics tell the story better than I. The pattern is the same for the most part and if not done by the same individual they certainly tried to make them in the same style. The major difference being that mine consists of 4 squares/diamonds in rib width and the RI offering checkering is slightly larger pattern fitting three in the lateral span.

Both ribs have the lengthwise borders swoop in towards the sight, cross each other and then between the sight two more lines cross. The RI makes a spear point mine barely cross. The same finishing touch. The telltale is the awl scribe that extends on the left/right side after the checkering/border has swept in to cross. These are thin markers to start & stop the two crossed lines when hand engraving. For whatever reason the left side scribe of mine is more prominent. I can see my right side, yet not w/o the 10X loupe.

Perhaps it was common to employ thin though noticeable straight line scribes in engraving by those not as proficient in skill as a master engraver.

Last edited by Nicksterdemus; 08-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.