View Single Post

Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedburns3 View Post
I can understand the sentiment but when one is left-handed it is an annoyance, so if the gun is overall safe with thumb safety OFF, that's how it will be for me and other southpaws. I really hate having to reach over to activate/deactivate it. Sigs s*ck, so do 1911's, if you are a left-handed shooter.
I too am left-handed, but I look at the manual safety a bit differently. On a CCW like the Shield, which I typically carry in an IWB holster tucked tight against my side. The safety on the left side is actually where I want it. Because of the trigger safety, firing pin block and the longish trigger pull, the Shield is inherently safe without the manual safety. The only time I engage the safety is normal handling & storage when it's outside the holster and especially when reholstering the firearm, when the greatest danger occurs for an Accidental Discharge. Once it is holstered, I click off the manual safety, which for a leftie is on the exposed side of the firearm and easily accessed.

In fact, I can discretely check the manual safety by clicking it ON/OFF through the shirt I'm wearing just by feel. I instinictly do this when my situational awareness alerts me of potential danger... just to make sure it is absolutely ready to go, if necessary.

Still the Shield's manual safety is well-recessed and unlikely to be bumped out of position. Same applies to the Bodyguard. The Compact and FS, OTOH, have large protruding manual safeties that are too easy to flick ON/OFF. Thankfully, they are full ambi, so I can easily thumb sweep regardless of which hand is holding the weapon.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: