View Single Post

Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts

tedburns3, don't get me wrong, I don't like "rightie-only" controls on firearms either. But the reality is that not every pistol I shoot is going to be leftie-friendly, so I always try to keep my Methods of Operation as neutral and universal as possible. That means a few things:

1. Magazine release always kept on left side, even it is reversible. I use trigger finger, which in many instances is actually quicker and causes less change in grip than using thumb... mostly because I have small hands.

2. Likewise, I almost always use trigger finger to release slide in a "combat reload" situation, regardless of whether there is an ambi release lever on the right side or not. That, or "slingshot" with right hand. I don't want to have to "think" which gun I have and react differently in a stress-filled situation. For normal handling, sure, a right-side release lever is nice.

3. Manual Safety. This is a big can of worms. About 1/3 of my pistols have ambi manual safety, but upon drawing from holster, I always sweep with my left thumb regardless of which gun I am shooting and whether there is a safety there or not. It's a habit I consciously developed.

Okay... what happens if the gun has manual safety only on the left side? This goes back to what I said in my post#31 above. Pistols like that, I only buy if it can be carried safely in a holster without the safety engaged. As soon as the pistol is holstered, I click OFF the manual safety. Since holstering is usually done in "peace time", I can take my time and do it with whichever finger that is convenient. So then... the gun is ready to fire directly out of the holster.

This can be a striker fired either with a long, heavy DA trigger pull (Bodyguard), or with a trigger safety (M&P Shield). Or hammer fired DA trigger that I can decock or otherwise lower the hammer.

If a pistol must be carried Condition 1 (1911), then I would only buy one with ambi manual safety. The left thumb sweep habit then takes care of it. My P938 is like that.

All this might sound convoluted, but in practice it's actually very straight forward, once I drilled the MO into my CC routine. And it works with virtually any pistol. The only exception is, say, a 1911 with no ambi safety, which to me is about as good as a brick.

Last edited by M&Pmeister; 08-20-2014 at 12:56 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: