View Single Post

Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked 6,216 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE450No2 View Post
My "Coach Gun" has a family history. It started out as a Savage Stevens Model 311 in 20 ga. with 28' barrels. My dad gave it to my mother for a wedding gift. She used it to hunt ducks and doves. When I was old enough to hunt, my dad had the stock cut down a little and fitted with a rubber recoil for me. I used it till I bought my own shotgun. The it went to brother No2, who used it till it went to brother No3, then it back to Mom...

My dad then had the barrels cut down to 18.5" so Mom could use it for a "Burglar/house Gun"...

Years later I got it back... I have used it for hunting small game, the wife and I have used it for huntinig mountain grouse on backpacking bear hunts, we always carried a few 20ga Brenneke slugs, incase we bumped into a bear, and some buckshot for mountain lion and wolves, and we have used it as a Road/Motel gun on trips. Being a double it breaks down and can be carried into the Motel room without being noticed.

I use it still to this day. It is my farm/ranch shotgun here on my place. I have a SureFire Nitrolon flashlight taped under the barrels.

It shoots slugs out to 30 yards or so as accurate as most British double rifles, and buckshot just as well. I have killed quite a bit of game with it over the years as well as turtles and snakes here on my place in the country. My nephew killed a turkey with it at around 25 yards or so.

It is a very handy, most useful shotgun.
A piece of bicycle inner tube would work better than tape. Hold it tighter, but be easy to remove for battery replacement, or whatever.