View Single Post

Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Liked 17,297 Times in 6,648 Posts

As AZretired said, this is incorrect. The Privileges or Immunities clause of the 14th amendment was essentially made void by the Slaughterhouse cases in 1873. In that case the Supreme Court ruled that the Privileges or Immunities clause in the 14th Amendment applied only to the Federal government, not the states. There has not been a case on point since that time.

The closest that it came to consideration was in Justice Thomas's concurring, but separate opinion McDonald v. Chicago. Thomas would preferred that the Court decided McDonald on interpreting the 14th to apply against the states. The other four Justices didn't do that and so McDonald was not the far reaching case we hoped it would be.

I think that there will be nationwide reciprocity, but it will more likely come from court action than legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
My understanding of the US Constitution is that all states are required to honor the official acts of other states. Marriage licenses, drivers licenses, divorce decrees, child custody orders, and many other forms of official actions are recognized and observed nationwide. The existence of this constitutional provision provides the best avenue for accomplishing the goal of nationwide reciprocity, in my opinion.