View Single Post

Old 09-10-2014, 02:53 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 416 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Butcher View Post
About 10 years ago I saw a Belgian copy of a #3 at a "Antique Mall". It was Nickel in good appearance, but the cylinder wouldn't lock up when the hammer was cocked. The markings were in mis-spelled English and had "Bumble Bee" proofs. The price was marked $400. I passed quickly! I did buy a pair of the modern Umberti copies for about $400 each a year and a half later. I love shooting them with Trail Boss low pressure loads, the 25 yard accuracy is 5 shots in about 1" to 1.5" and would be better with modern sights.

I didn't know that Turkey maid copies, But their contract guns matched the THOUSANDS of Henry rifles they bought. They used them to great effect against Czarist Russia along with Remington Rolling Block rifles, In a 2 day battle they exterminated almost 100,000 Russian troops with few losses of their own. The Czar shot the loosing general personally! Ivan
I suggest you check your history.
The third battle of Plevna was expensive to the Russians but they did not lose 100,000 men and no general was shot.
Plevna is most interesting because it is the only major battle where a lever action weapon made a significant difference in the battle.
Joe

Last edited by jleiper; 09-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.