View Single Post

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Liked 592 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
Mr Nash,

My schedule has been a bit busy and I just read your latest post. Wow, thank you again. I will have to read it again. l thought there was a similarity between the 185gr 45 ACP and the (180gr) 40S&W. Thanks again.
1 of 2

My apologies to both “18DAI”, “JohnHL” and “Deputy50”, and separately, “GoodMornin” for I just haven’t been able to find the time to get back to some things about that hammer and again separately, the 4043 (although in posting this entry today, I saw where “johnnyloco” has a thread about the 4046 on this same board that might be helpful in regard to the latter and that perhaps I will post to in an effort to kill two birds with one stone, if I can find the time.

However, after posting here twice in great detail within this thread about the gun (4006's - information/ history/ tidbits??) and its ammo (4006's - information/ history/ tidbits??), I thought that you folks might find these images that I came across in my files while doing something else the other day worthwhile.

As the site only allows five attachments per entry, I am splitting them up into two new Posts today. This is One of Two.

As I talked about the 10mm in my last post and how the FBI loading was a project of Federal’s, Attachment 01 (below) is of two conventional 50 round boxes of that load as made and packaged by them. One actually bears a stick-on paper label and the other employs what I believe was an early version of a “printed” end flap. But both of them bear the “XM” number that relates to what was the special (non-cataloged) load for the Bureau that obviously started out as an experimental one just like all things of this nature do.

Attachment 02 is the full tray from that “printed” box of Federal FBI loads showing the headstamp employed and the cavity contained in the nose of the projectiles.

Attachment 03 shows the same tray but with two of the rounds lying on their sides so the viewer can get an approximate idea of their length and bullet contour.

Hornady (not mentioned in my last post) jumped into the fray back then as well. Some early signs of that can be seen in Attachment 04 where, once again, a paper label (in this case probably hand-stamped) can be seen attached to the end flaps of three boxes of their early-on 180gr loads along with one of their then-commercial 170gr boxes for the 10mm as well.

Finally, moving on to the unrelated .40S&W project (whose ammo will be featured in detail in the immediately-following Post Two of Two), Attachment 05 shows some of the dummy rounds that became available from Winchester during the latter stages of the project. Please note that while they contain what appear to be the actual bullets used in the conventionally-loaded “real” ammo (an important feature in regard to tests related to feeding), their cases are not only coated in the conventional dark green color often associated with dummies (action-proving dummies), they don’t have holes in the bases of the primer pockets they do contain.

That is important for several reasons. For (one) if someone does the wrong thing and attempts to seat a live primer in the pocket, no spark or flash can make its way into the interior of the case itself if it is struck. Two, there can be issues with some guns, the S&W included, if during dry firing exercises, its firing pin (if not stopped by the external face of the primer) protrudes through an empty pocket and passes into and through a single, boxer-type hole at its base, as it can become bound up in that hole and possibly damaged during any manually cycling of the gun. And three, one can, if they wish, carefully fill that conventionally shaped primer pocket with leather, rubber or silicone to further protect the pin.

Hope you find these images and those in immediately-following Post Two of Two, of interest.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: