View Single Post

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Liked 592 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
Mr Nash,

My schedule has been a bit busy and I just read your latest post. Wow, thank you again. I will have to read it again. l thought there was a similarity between the 185gr 45 ACP and the (180gr) 40S&W. Thanks again.
2 of 2

As stated in the immediately-preceding Post One of Two, my apologies to both “18DAI”, “JohnHL” and “Deputy50”, and separately, “GoodMornin” for I just haven’t been able to find the time to get back to some things about that hammer and again separately, the 4043 (although in posting this entry today, I saw where “johnnyloco” has a thread about the 4046 on this same board that might be helpful in regard to the latter and that perhaps I will post to in an effort to kill two birds with one stone, if I can find the time.

However, after posting here twice in great detail within this thread about the gun (4006's - information/ history/ tidbits??) and its ammo (4006's - information/ history/ tidbits??), I thought that you folks might find these images that I came across in my files while doing something else the other day worthwhile.

As the site only allows five attachments per entry, I am splitting them up into two new Posts today. This is Two of Two.

Attachments 06 and 07 show conventionally boxed but not conventionally labeled Winchester .40S&W ammo of a type I don’t believe that many people have seen. As with a number of the boxes of the 10mm ammunition seen in Post One of Two, these boxes were not intended for commercial sale and bear stick-on labels bearing a description and part number. Although here, the labels actually appear to have been typed and not machine printed (in any manner) and we see, for the first time in these two Posts, how Winchester numbered their experimental/developmental loads at the time.

Attachment 08 puts its conventional Winchester foam tray of the period on top of one of those boxes (with the box’s end flap swung out for reference) and lays one of it rounds (containing the 170gr lead, semi-wadcutter described on that flap) on its side for viewing. It also shows that the brass used for this Winchester load is not even headstamped in regard to either caliber or manufacturer.

Attachment 09 makes it even more clear about those plain base cases and it shows the non-cavity, solid tip LSWC on end.

Attachment 10 shows the load that was used to conduct much of the .40S&W development work at Smith as it was loaded, packaged and labeled by Winchester. The non-commercial carton contained two of their then-standard foam-lined trays. It was printed (again in a non-commercial manner) with all of the relevant information, including their experimental/developmental product code and a one-line user designator (Smith & Wesson) as well. Three of the rounds have been removed from one of those trays and laid out so one can see the size of the loaded cartridge, the contour of its 180gr bullet and the hollow cavity it employed.

Hope you find these images and those in immediately-preceding Post One of Two, of interest.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: