View Single Post

Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Liked 592 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nash View Post
Poohgyrr

I think I know you. If so, then a mutual friend just told me that I hadn’t contributed anything here in a while, so following are a few quick points about the 4006 I wrote over an early breakfast and proofed over a late lunch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMornin View Post
Mr Nash, out of curiousity, have you fired a 4043. If so, how did that feel to you, little more snap or just the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nash View Post
1 of 2

My apologies to both “18DAI”, “JohnHL” and “Deputy50”, and separately, “GoodMornin” for I just haven’t been able to find the time to get back to some things about that hammer and again separately, the 4043 (although in posting this entry today, I saw where “johnnyloco” has a thread about the 4046 on this same board that might be helpful in regard to the latter and that perhaps I will post to in an effort to kill two birds with one stone, if I can find the time...

...Hope you find these images and those in immediately-following Post Two of Two, of interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMornin View Post
Exactly what he said, take your time, your info posted here is much appreciated.
GoodMornin

I have fired the alloy-frame, Double Action Only (DAO) 4043 (several of them and they were all of the early, extended slide type) and there is some difference as to how it “feels” (“feelings” and “felt recoil” obviously being very subjective sensations) than say a 4046 (the stainless steel frame version of the double column, DAO .40S&W Smith 3rd Gen) or the original stainless steel, Traditional Double Action (TDA) 4006 that we’ve talked about here.

It’s pretty clear that even without changing a gun’s “geometry” in terms of how it fits the hand of a given (single) user (and sometimes merely changing the grip can do that), lightening it up or making it more heavy, can affect how that firearm will “feel” (and not just in terms of its weight) to someone handling it or, separately, shooting it.

I found that, for me (the same might not be the same for you or anybody else reading this), the increased sense of recoil in the 4043 when compared to the ’46 was not much more than the difference I found and described in the first of my four previous Posts in this thread (above) as noticeable but something I got used to within a relatively small number of rounds fired through those early 4006’s after having shot only 9mm’s in its sister gun, the 5906 for as much as I had done.

Some people might, as you have done, call it more “snappy”. Others might call it “whippy” (although that’s a term I tend to use for a different firearm phenomenon). I’ll just say that it was noticeable but certainly controllable and easy enough to get so used to in such a short period of time, that it never really affected my work with the gun.

Two more side points that might interest you.

1) First, some people perceive any of the extended slide, short action DAO S&W 3rd Gen’s as performing differently in the hand, not just because that “action” is different than their (basic-to-the-line) TDA pistols but because if they are an experienced Smith shooter and are making a switch from one (action) type to another, they will certainly be aware of every little difference between them (and there are a number of them). Something that perhaps makes those people more aware of (more sensitive to?) things like the unrelated but obviously present differences in recoil caused by the different frame materials we’ve been discussing, than they would have been otherwise.

Additionally, I think that there is a tendency for serious students of the gun (as are most of the people posting on this Site) to also study and look closely at any new gun (new action, new materials, new ammo, etc.) and perceive even the smallest differences, which can sometimes make those differences seem larger than they are. Such students know, however, that any and all such differences must be categorized and put into the proper perspective. But sometimes, it’s just easier to not do that and sometimes, it can be personally advantageous to make them into something more than they really are.

Me, I (and those I respect) tend to be more clinical when it comes to that sort of thing.

2) Second, I think (and I’ve mentioned this elsewhere before and have actually drafted something more complete – and hopefully more coherent – about it that I will put out sometime down the road) that many of today’s shooters (and perhaps even more so, many of today’s “gun toters”) have become so used to lighter guns overall (most of them of polymer construction; something about which I no objection or concern) that they see anything like the steel frame Smith 3rd Gens of only less than a few decades ago, as heavy; sometimes even objectionably so.

I believe that is borne out in the numerous comments throughout this site that constantly emphasize their weight along with their strength and ease of shooting (recoil again) as opposed to the lighter frame guns, which today are often pictured as more ideal for everything but their actual “shooting”.

Is weight-saving a good thing? It certainly can be (as long as so much of it isn’t “saved” that controllability suffers) but I see people complaining all the time (not in this thread) about some guns, lighter and heavier, that in my opinion, just aren’t that bad in those respects.

So here too, you (as an individual whose personal perceptions might be radically different than those of the proverbial “next guy in line”) really have to objectively decide for yourself, based on your own needs, likes and personal preferences, whether or not a particular handgun is too light or too heavy or if any increase in felt recoil is objectionable to you or something that you can’t adjust to without negatively affecting your overall performance with that firearm.

Hope this both helps you and gives you something to think about. This Forum is a really great place to learn about the experiences of others (all of us benefit from that) but one must always be aware that such things might not directly apply to anyone but the people who had them. So while you should always attempt to read about what others have to say (for that is big part of how we learn) and ask them questions as well, you should always attempt to remain objective, keep an open mind and try to experiment and expose yourself to as many things and variations of them as you can.

For that’s what makes truly makes us knowledgeable and better at what we do.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: