Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 PM

Liked 79 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield.40 View Post
I to have a shield 40. I'm also interested in xds .45 but my concern is the round capacity. I know I can get the extended mag for the xds but how much longer is that compared to the shields extended mag? As conceal ability is a huge requirement. Pictures will be helpful with a side by side comparison with extended mags in play.
For over a year now I have been carrying a 30S IWB with a 9rd magazine and it's overall height with that magazine is 4.5", but it is wider.

My XD-S 45 with the 5rd magazine is very similar in size to the Shield 9. I like .45 so when I want to carry thinner that is when I go with the XD-S.

If I wanted a thin 9mm instead of .45 I'd look seriously at the Shield 9 because it is 4 ounces lighter than the XD-S 9.

The XD-S 45 with the 7rd magazine inserted is about an inch longer in overall height and is nearing 5.5", compared to the 4.4" OAH with the 5rd.

For comparison, if I hold the XD-S 45 7rd magazine next a flush 1911 7rd magazine they are the same size, just the mag catch holes location are different.

For me with the 7rd magazine inserted it makes it taller than I want to carry IWB, (or in a Smart carry), so I holster mine with a 5rd magazine and carry the 7rd magazine as a spare in a nylon knife case. If I had a bit more girth or carried it concealed OWB the 7rd magazine might work fine as the 7rd 1911s are carried by many with no complaints.

I do wish Springfield made a 6rd magazine for it which would put the OAH closer to 5" and would be more doable for my IWB carry.