View Single Post

Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Liked 185 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwildcat View Post
Thanks for the reply,I'm on my phone right now it will not let me post a picture, it looks as if the barrel had paint in it,the lands are normal but the grooves look grey or bare metal. The barrel is free of copper and lead.I will try to post a picture later once I get home.
thanks
You have to use an app like Tapatalk to post pics straight from your phone.

Your situation sounds totally normal. A bullet needs to push into the barrel contours (i.e. 'lands/grooves') for your bullet to spin so it's gonna leave marks.

If you look at a fired bullet it'll have 'stripes' on it also (Google pics is your friend). You'll also notice if you take a cartridge and put the bullet end to the end of your barrel (please take your barrel out to try this), it won't just slide in. The same thing applies from the normal/chamber end because it needs the energy from the powder to force the bullet down the barrel. It's also the reason why if a round has too little powder ('squib'), it can get stuck in your barrel (i.e. not enough energy).

I'd suggest you take a firearms class since most should cover these kinds of topics. As an eye opener, google 'squib load'. It doesn't happen often but it's the kind of thing that can get you hurt when you don't know, what you don't know.

Welcome to the forum.
The Following User Likes This Post: