View Single Post

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,518 Times in 1,240 Posts

Well, I don't want to be disagreeable, but I will continue to disagree. The escutcheons for the screw are odd and probably have been replaced. The other features of the stocks, and the revolver itself, are kind of a strange combination of features, some of which tend to emphasize single action shooting and others that support double action shooting. I have seen other examples of stocks with the large diamonds and there are some pictured in his books. The concavity of the stocks was to support rapid double action shooting and is also pictured and described in his books. The thumb rest is more of a single action feature but is classic Roper with the grooved surface. The fuller shape at the top is also a double action feature that he describes in his book. Bear in mind that Roper/Gagne made custom stocks and would make them to meet a specific customer's needs.

I don't want to claim any specific expertise; there are plenty of people on this forum with substantial experience with Roper grips. However, a local friend and I have owned dozens of Ropers, examined many more and done our own share of research. And I have the advantage of having actually handled this gun.