View Single Post

Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked 107 Times in 48 Posts

Hi. I am a new member to this forum, but have been reading it for years. I am 65 years old and have been reloading since 1975.

Back in 2009, member Hoptob started this thread with an excellent post about duplicating the Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP-GC +P load (BB #20A). He duplicated the load with 4 different powders and I have been using his 8.0gr HS-6 load to duplicate the BB load and have been very happy with it.

In that posting he said that BB was using 7.5 gr of a flake powder in its factory loading.

The four powders he used are as follows:

Powder...........Hodgdon Burn Rate Number..............Charge Needed to Duplicate
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N340..............37.................................................6.7 gr
SR4756...........39.................................................7.0 gr
HS-6...............42.................................................8.0 gr
Longshot.........53..................................................7.0 gr

As we know, burn rate charts are approximate for reloading purposes and powders can change their relative position on the chart depending upon what cartridge case they are used in and what bullet weight they are used behind. This appears to be the case with Longshot; it changes it position from #53 to #39/#40 when used in a 38 Special case behind the Rim Rock 158 gr LSWCHP-GC bullet.

Fast forward to 2014 and I am out of HS-6. Can’t find any anywhere - OK, OK … a guy on GunBroker has 2 lbs of it for $100.00 a lb (plus additional HazMat + additional shipping !!). All that means is he is letting everyone know he has some, but it isn’t really for sale.

Anyway, a week ago, I go to our local gun show, with my list of the 4 powders. Can’t find any of them there; however, I do find a powder called CFE Pistol. It is #44 on Hodgdon’s burn rate chart. That is in the Burn Rate range I am looking for, so I decide to give it a try and buy 1 lb.

Here are my results:

Powder: CFE Pistol
Powder Charge: 7.5 gr (note1: same as BB) (note2: yes, I worked up to this charge)
Cases: Once fired Nickeled 38 Special with headstamp “Winchester 38 SPL+P”
Primers: WSP
Bullet: Rim Rock 158 LSWCHP-GC (same bullet BB and Hoptob use)
Crimp: VERY firm roll crimp
Ransom Rest
Number of shots per group and distance: 6/25 yards
Chrono: Shooting Chrony
Number of shots per velocity group and distance: 6/6 feet
Firearm #1: S&W 64-4 2” Barrel
Firearm #2: S&W 66-4 4” barrel
Temperature: 73 degrees F
Conditions: Sunny with very little wind

Firearm: 64-4
------------------------------------------
BB Avg Vel: 1041 ft/sec
BB Std Dev: 26.9 ft/sec
BB Group Size: 5.7 inches

CFE-P Avg Vel: 1044 ft/sec
CFE-P Std Dev: 25.0 ft/sec
CFE-P Group Size: 5.5 inches

Firearm: 66-4
-------------------------------------------
BB Avg Vel: 1128 ft/sec
BB Std Dev: 11.9 ft/sec
BB Group Size: 3.0 inches

CFE-P Avg Vel: 1138 ft/sec
CFE-P Std Dev: 11.2 ft/sec
CFE-P Group Size: 3.1 inches

It appears that for my revolvers and my cases, my primers and my lot of CFE Pistol powder, that 7.5 grains of CFE Pistol duplicates the 7.5 grain load that Buffalo Bore uses. While CFE Pistol is a ball powder and Hoptob reports that Buffalo Bore uses a flake powder, it takes equal charge weights of each powder to produce the same exterior ballistic results. I would think that also means that both powders are producing very nearly the same internal ballistic pressures as well.

It also appears that, with this load, my 64-4 should be used at targets less than 25 yards away.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: