View Single Post

Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 PM

Liked 29,236 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default If it's got a model number.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzas View Post
I've been looking into handloading for a while now. I think this would be the perfect place to start. Might as well practice with what I carry, right? Thanks for all the great info.

A quick question for any of y'all that know about pressures and such:
I recently bought a M10-5 for use as my EDC. It is before the time of +P (76-77). I don't know a lot about how the .38 special changed over time. Just to play it safe I bought BB 20C for defense. My question is can I shoot +P out of my model 10, even though it isn't marked for it? If I can't, can I use less powder to bring the FBI [hand]load down to standard pressures?

Any info would be great. Thanks guys.
Franz
If it's got a model number and it's steel, you are good to go. The mod 10 handles +P easily. Darn good gun. The +P standard was introduced in 1972 but ANY S&W that has a model number and is steel is ok with +P.

As far as loading your own the BEST place to start is with a good manual and stick to the published loads. There is a LOT to know rather than just how much powder goes with what bullet. There are threads here where this is covered a lot. If you can't find it yourself, ask.

Last edited by rwsmith; 10-22-2014 at 11:14 PM.