View Single Post

Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,168 Times in 4,570 Posts

So funny! I am ever so careful about threads that come from the opening thread summary because there are so many that are several years old but some of them are very enlightening to read, even if a reply is unwarranted. This thread absolutely contained interesting information in a single place that I knew or thought I knew but was happy to re-read.

One statement from me in a ditto to what someone else said - when you hear or read "9mm" in an ammunition discussion you can definitely presume the writer or speaker means 9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum/9 x 19 (I'd say 9mm NATO, too, but there does seem to be some disagreement there). ANY other time someone discusses 9mm he or she will clarify if it is not "standard" 9x19.

It's no different, in a sense, in a discussion in re .45 caliber ammunition. On a Forum like this folks tend to be pretty doggone clear when they mean .45 ACP versus meaning .45 Colt. In a Forum like the Single Action Shooting Society has you're not likely to see .45 ACP mentioned unless the discussion is not about Old West-style revolvers, which would usually mean they were discussing 1911s for Wild Bunch side matches. Clarity sometimes disappears when you don't know what the shooting platform is - when you do then it won't matter.

***GRJ***