View Single Post

Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts

This is my first post (I’m hoping that this is the right place to post this as the current thread is related to the question of the best grips… I have a slightly different question that may not have been considered).

After years of using other brands of firearms, I finally came to the conclusion, “I’m a Smith & Wesson man”. So, I got rid of my Rossi revolver and was able to pick up a Model 10-5 2” .38 spl snub (square bottom grip).

I believe it is from the late 60’s or 70’s. Lot’s of wear on the blue. But mechanically sound, and shoots every time. It has the original wood grips. So, here is my issue…

My grasp on the grip is not as comfortable as I’m used to (I also have a Model 66-2 with Pachmayr grips that is very comfortable to shoot). I want to use this snub as my CCW. I’m going to replace the wood with Pachmayr, or another similar brand. However, I have one concern. Will the replacement grips interfere with using a speed loader? Here is whay I ask…

I replaced the grips on my Rossi with Pachmayr and noticed that the cylinder and the speed loader did not line up as well as it had when it had the wood grips installed. The thickness of the Pachmayr grips appeared to be the cause of the problem. I had to come in at an angle and release the rounds when they were slanted to the cylinder. That sorta worked, most of the time.

Plus, the Pachmayr interfered with ejecting the rounds, as the one on the inside caught on the grip.

So, I have read many of the posts that ask what grip is best, but I think my question is a little different… what non-wood replacement grip would avoid this problem with loading and unloading rounds (note that I do not have this same problem with my 66-2).

Thanks in advance.