View Single Post

Old 11-08-2014, 09:40 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,728 Times in 2,620 Posts

As I have said before, sights on S&W pistols are installed at the factory by a hydraulic press while the slide is held in the fixture. Both sights are installed at the same time as the machine has two rams, one for the front sight and one for the rear sight.

Proper sight installation on a pistol for serious use should NOT depend upon the set screw to hold the sight in place. In fact, even without the set screw, the sight should hold so tightly that a violent impact or a drop on concrete or steel should not move the sight.

A sight pusher is one option, but I have encountered sights so tight that I felt like I needed to attach a crow bar to the portion of the sight pusher that turns the cork screw.

Although some claim to have made it through this process just fine, my guess is that far more folks have really screwed up their guns.

I read one post which described how the sight was so tough to move, even with a sight pusher, that a rail was sheared off the slide.

Use caution when attempting gunsmith or factory work without proper tools. Your firearm will appreciate it.