View Single Post

Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

A turkey dinner is actually one of the easiest large meals to make. It just takes some time, most of which can be spent in the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand while we act like we know what we are doing.

For a whole roasted turkey I have come to rely on the "oven bags". These make the job almost too easy to do. Follow the written instructions (noting the differences in cooking times for stuffed or unstuffed birds). Cooking any part of a turkey without the stuffing seems to me a waste of time, but I know some others do it.

For a turkey breast I would recommend a roasting pan with cover, about 1 hour at 325-350F per pound with cover in place, then remove the cover and allow 30-45 minutes or so in the oven to brown the surface. I would start the breast by rubbing with butter (or margarine for you health Nazi types), then a sprinkling of Lowry's seasoned salt, and a bit of sage. An onion, cut into chunks or quarters in the pan with the breast will add some interesting flavors, as will chopped celery.

The pan drippings in the roasting pan will make the best turkey gravy you're likely to get. Low to medium heat in a skillet or sauce pan, add some flour dissolved in warm water (tablespoon of flour to a pint of water), keep working with the wisk as it thickens, salt and pepper to taste. The gravy is good for mashed potatoes, dressing or stuffing, or for hot turkey sandwiches as leftovers (the leftovers are some of the year's best eating of the season).

I would serve that roasted turkey breast sliced thin alongside mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, and (if you have to do it this way) "Stove-top Stuffing Mix" done in a casserole dish in the oven alongside the breast. Some nice bread or rolls, maybe a little cranberry sauce on the side and a few black olives, followed by the pie of your choice, should satisfy any appetite.

If you are a wine drinker I would recommend a nice crisp California chardonnay or Chablis, maybe a rose or white merlot. Something a bit crisp, not too sweet.

Then lay down on the couch or stretch out in your La-Z-Boy and enjoy the game with a 6-pack of your favorites.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: