View Single Post

Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked 1,883 Times in 987 Posts
Default So you're thinking about getting into reloading...

Price of factory ammo these days causing you to have to refinance in order to be able to go to the range?!?! Have a family and can't justify $50 for a box of 45's? Want to be able to make your own when the market goes crazy? Want to make more accurate ammo then what is mass produced and shipped out to one-size-fits all guns?

So now you're about to post and ask what other people suggest you buy--which is a very valid question to get others opinions before you start buying equipment than can be very costly. Plus it can be overwhelming given the number of options out there (list of some in alphabetical order): C&H, Dillon, Forster, Harrells, Herters, Hollywood, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, Pacific, RCBS, Redding, and Wilson--and most of these companies offer several different versions and types of press. Well that question, often gets sidetracked and ends up in a color feud. There are countless posts just on this wonderful forum, as well as others, from lots of people in your same shoes. Reloading equipment should be chosen to fit your particular needs, just the same as with any tool. A wrench and an impact gun can do the same job, but sometimes one is more useful for what you are doing than the other.

From someone that has bought and sold a lot of equipment, I can tell you that "used" equipment is a very affordable way to start--however, it doesn't fit the "immediate gratification" of today's need-it-now society. You're hopefully already looking around at prices of new equipment, so you probably have a general idea of what retail prices are, which helps when you look through local swap & sells, craigslist, eBay, etc. Presses are generally very robust, and many companies offer great warrantees--even if you aren't the original purchaser.

I apologize now, but this post isn't going to tell you which one to buy, but rather offer you some informative sites that might help you in your search. Also I would appreciate if no-one posts a blanket statement of what press is the best. Below are some links that are very informative, and hopefully will help in your decision making.

First, the search feature on this forum can help you dig up a lot of past discussions with a plethora of information. Just narrow the search to the name of a press you are considering, and you can find some very useful info.

Ultimate Reloader's site has some very good information and videos on several presses. Couple direct article links below.

Ultimate Reloader Things to Consider.

What type of press. Ultimate Reloader

The Search for the Perfect First Press.

Side by Side visual of progressives. Ultimate Reloader

Informative forum on Dillons.
Which Dillon Reloader is right for you? Press comparison on Dillon's website. I've heard Brian Enos is very helpful if you are considering a Dillon on helping you choose the one that best suits your needs. He offers a guide on his website as well: BrianEnos.com.

Informative site on the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP.

01/02/16 UPDATEVideos on the new ProChucker Presses from RCBS by Ultimate Reloader

YouTube has a lot of videos with presses in actions. As well as, several of the manufacturers (below again in alphabetical order).
-Dillon Videos
-Hornady LnL AP 3 Year Review
-Hornady LnL AP Overview
-Hornady LnL AP Tips & Tricks
-Lee Precision Videos
-RCBS Videos

Lee Classic Turret Review.

Lee Breechlock Challenger Kit Review.

RCBS RockChucker Supreme Kit Review.

Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Kit Review.

Lee Classic Cast. (Single Stage Review)

Lyman Crusher Kit Review.

06/06/17 UPDATE MEC Marksman Press Review

Redding T-7 Review

Forster Co-ax Review.

Dillon Square Deal B Review.

Dillon RL550B Review.

RCBS Pro-2000 Review.

01/02/16 UPDATERCBS Summit Press Review.

09/19/16 UPDATE Hornady Iron Press Review

01/16/19 UPDATE
Frankfort Arsenal M-Press

Arbor Press Reviews:
21st Century Arbor Press Review
Harrell's Precision Combo Press Review.
K&M Arbor Press Review.

Comparison: Dillon, Hornady, & Lee Progressives

I'm not adding any of my opinion on this post, as to be honest it doesn't matter to me what you buy--I don't have to use it or pay for it. If you buy the same equipment I use, it does not validate my purchases. So research as much as possible, and even for me, that didn't work out exactly, as I found a yard sale too good to pass up when I got started. The important thing is that you get started reloading.

A great manual to have to read up on reloading is the "ABC's of Reloading," there are several editions available, so you should be able to find a used one at a reasonable price online.

Many of the reloading kits include a manual with them, but an additional one to consider is Lyman's 49th edition--it is highly recommended by most reloaders.

If you need additional or want to cross reference load data, I believe all the powder manufacturers offer data online.
-Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide.
-Hodgdon/Winchester Load Data Center. **This site also has some instructional videos.
-Ramshot Load Data.
-Vihtavuori Powder.

Don't forget you are going to want a suitable bench to set up your press and equipment on.
-Sturdy Reloading Bench plans.
Most Forums have a dedicated posts with pictures of member's benches, so browsing through these might give you some inspiration.
-Show us your reloading setup! Smith-WessonForum
-Show us a picture of your reloading setup. TheHighRoad
-Let's see your reloading bench! 1911Forum
-Loading Bench Pics. Castboolits.gunloads

Here are some links to vendors where you can purchase equipment and supplies (alphabetical order).
-Amazon
-Berry's Manufacturing.
-Brownells
-Cabelas
-Graf & Sons
-MidSouthShootersSupply
-MidwayUSA
-NatchezShooterSupply
-PowderValleyInc.
-Precision Reloading
-RecobsTargetShop
-SinclairInternational
-3rdGenerationShootersSupply
-TitanReloading
-Uniquetek
-Wideners
-Xtreme Bullets

Some notable threads to subscribe to here at the S&W Forum:
-Online Bullet Sources
-Daily In-stock Reloading Notices

Additional Reference Websites:
-Steve's Pages: Compilation of information from a long-time reloader. (Source provided by forestswin.)
-ReloadingTips.com: Miscellaneous reviews of reloading and casting equipment. (Source provided by forestswin.)
-Common Sense - Reload Your Own Ammunition (Source provided by smokindog.)
-Reloading Cost Calculator - If you need more sources to justify the hobby to your significant other. (Source provided by hanno.)

**If you have another useful website to post, let me know, and I'll add it to the above.**

Last edited by novalty; 01-16-2019 at 08:05 PM.
The Following 118 Users Like Post:
.41 Magnum, 2400, 307-Niner, 357-RevolverGuy, 66snub, 68sixspeed, 85V65Sabre, ageingstudent, Andre Coop, billymc, Bkreutz, Black_Sheep, Bosquebass, br25004x4, Bugkiller99, Bullseye 2620, CBG8846, CelticSire, Chacam, ChaosDoc, dacoontz, dagamore, daniel lawecki, DanWales, DodgeCity1951, dsbock, Engineer1911, federali, Fishslayer, fixitfred, fjtiii, flywrench, forestswin, fredj338, GB, gdodgen, geddylee10002000, george_lehr, Goldstar225, gregintenn, Grombo, happyparrothead, Harley Fan, HCH, Hobie 11, Hot Toddy, hotshot357, infish, Isis1200L, JayAychOh, JBnTx, Jebus35745, johnc486, JohnRoc65, JonF, jrod, jughed440, kc-130nav, KLYDE, kraynky, ladder13, LD-Ordie, Leah, LittleCooner, LTC, M3Stuart, Madoktor1, Magload, markeb, MattO, model70hunter, Moe Mentum, moxie, MrG5122, muddocktor, Nasty Ned, ontargetagain, planojack, prairieviper, quneur, R.J. in Phoenix, Racer X, Redford, RobertJ., roscoepc, Rule3, rwsmith, Scuba16, SeamasterSig, Semper Fi 57, Seraphim, Shark Bait, Simmer down, sjs, Skyhunter, smokindog, SMSgt, SonofaGun, Sunbird, swamprabbit, SWin, SWMP15Pks, SW_shooter, tacreload, THEWELSHM, thewittmp, Topsarge, Trigger9, Trooperdan, Truckin, Twoboxer, uechikid, venomballistics, Wee Hooker, Will2, X Ring, YNC(AW) TangoCharlie, Zorbas