View Single Post

Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Liked 476 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG5122 View Post
I really appreciate all the info and advice. As usual I have learned tons from you folks. I've loaded lots of 9mm, 45acp, 38spl, and 223 but have only worked up a few loads for 357. I'm just trying to be careful and do it the right way. I just wasn't comfortable with the look of the primer.

From the pic, I see no issues with the primer. .357 mag in revolvers is known for flattening primers even with safe loads. That primer is far from flat. Reading primers in revolvers is like reading tea leaves in a cup and just as accurate. Sticky extraction is more of a sign of excess pressure.

The Lyman manual likes to run .357s hot. One reason I always reference at least 3 sources of published recipes while doing load development is because when one finds an extreme such as Lyman's, you know to be cautious. I also would have never loaded 70 rounds without loading just ten and then testing.

Reloading is a continuous learning experience and it is always better to error on the side of safety, than hoping to run a max load. You didn't say whether you used standard or magnum primers. I see the Lyman recipe calls for magnum. 2400 can get spikey when used with magnum primers and Alliant warns against using them with 2400.

Last edited by buck460XVR; 12-10-2014 at 01:46 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: