View Single Post

Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
I think you have to remember that all loads are safe, but may not work as well for some guns as other. Full blast .357 isn't recommended for a model 19. An 'N' frame could probably handle these with ease. Even between guns of the same make and model is ACTUAL barrel internal diameter and the size of the cylinder gap are variables. A loose barrel and a large gap could mean a gun can be loaded really hot. A tight barrel and and tight gap is going to develop higher pressure.
One of my favorite loads for my .357 Mag L frames is 13.0gr of 2400, a .358" 155gr LSWC with a standard Federal 100 primer. I bought a very nice six inch M-28-2 and that load locked it up tight and had to pound the case's out, thinking it may have a problem and checked it over closely and found nothing wrong. Well it turns out it just loves 15.0gr of H-110 a .358" 155gr LSWC and a CCI magnum primer. Now the H-110 load is a rather stout load and the M28 shoots it very well and the rather lighter 2400 load locks it up. Just goes to show how different firearms can be very different with the same load.