View Single Post

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,068 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight stick View Post
Ok, I have been wondering about this for a while now. Using HS-6, with 158 grain swc. At what point should a mag primer either be used or not used? I am not looking for a nuclear bomb here, just a safe and accurate load. Thanks!!
HS-6 is an older and slower ball powder and IMO you should always use a magnum primer when loading with it. A magnum primer will insure a more complete burn of the powder and a more even burn. Any time you can make things more uniform it has to help with accuracy.

Like I have said A LOT on this and other forums, a magnum primer will burn a little hotter and a little longer but it will not create a nuclear explosion. For some reason the word "magnum" scares some people but in reality a magnum is just a bigger bottle of champagne. For example, Winchester's LPP are rated for both standard and magnum use but nowhere in the industry is there a warning to reduce the powder charge when using a WLPP. If there were any chance at all of going over pressure with a magnum primer there would be warnings all over everything, especially in our litigious society.
SWCA #3437

Last edited by ArchAngelCD; 12-17-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Spelling, Typo
The Following 3 Users Like Post: