View Single Post

Old 12-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts

We have mountainlions, lynx, bobcat, fishers, blackbears at my northern camp in vt. And at home in the rural area.

I taught my wife and kids to be aware about the surroundings and pay attention to smells, to sounds, and sight. You need to stay alert at all times.

My wife and daughter are walking the dog at my daughter's condo. The spotted a mountain lion busy eating something behind a fallen tree. The dog didn't see it. The wind was in the wrong direction. They backed out of the woods. My son told the condo people and showed them the big cat tracks in the snow and no one believed him. The children who live in the condo play outside there. One morning the mountain lion takes a walk threw the center of the condo parking lot at 7am when people are going to work. It's OMG a mountain lion.

I had a 350/400lb black bear at my home. I'm surrounded by horse farms.

I'm up in the higher elevations of vt where no humans ever go on a ancient
Probably a 100+ year old logging road. It's a one log bridge. Now this was 25 years ago. I came across a show and her cub tracks in the snow.
Right behind the bear tracks was large cat tracks. I knew they were mountain lion tracks. I had a throw away cheap camera in my pocket. I took pics with a pack of cigarettes next to the size of the track. So the relationship could be seen. This was up the side of a mountain in Herrington national forest. I drove my cj7 jeep as far as we could go and we hiked up more for miles. Now my point is the tracks were only seen in the higher elevations. Fast forward to around 1998 and I had a mountain lion at my camp growling at us like on wild America. We seen it the night before in my headlites on my road. The next morning it's at my camp. So now the population is growing and there spreading out.

My point is teach your kids about the threat from the predators in the wilds.