View Single Post

Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM

Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Exclamation Rhetorician Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Crittenden View Post
There are a number of very detailed YouTube videos showing how to trigger job a Smith. Watch one and decide for your self. Changing out springs and a simple "fluff & buff" is not beyond the abilities of most mechanically minded persons. It helps to have a few basic tools. Like hollow ground screw drivers, and a rebound spring tool.

Not necessarily. A good smith can work magic. They're worth it, especially if there's an underlying problem. Then again, there are limits to what I'm willing to pay for something that's not that hard to do myself.

Wolff and Wilson Combat make springs. Apex Tactical makes a "kit" just for J-frames: main spring, rebound spring, extended firing pin and firing pin spring. I have three of the Apex kits waiting to go into some of my J-frames right now (you can buy them in bulk on eBay for a good price).

I'm going to lump these all together because in a sense they're all the same question. The Smith and Ruger are two different animals. The LCR has a very good trigger and my hat is off to Ruger for the effort they put into it. It was designed from scratch to be a great trigger right out of the box. The Smith trigger is a completely different mechanism. Some are great out of the box. Some need help. Most can benefit from some attention. I'm satisfied with all my J-frame triggers and won't be trading them off for a LCR anytime soon.
Dear Kernel Crittenden:

Thanks you kind sir for your quick comeback. You have undoubtedly thought this thing through on the J Frame springs. I have had other thoughts as I have ruminated and read a little more on some of the d boards.

First, a friend of mine who was a professional gunsmith at one time told me something to the effect that if you have a "trigger job" done; then if you do have to ever use the carry piece for a weapon then the prosecutor can easily make you out to be one who is looking for a fight. I know this can and may open up a can of worms which is not my intention to do.

Secondly, I know that it is wrong to compare or even want the Smith to be as easy as the Ruger. They are what they are. Both are splendid products and it really is an "apples and oranges" question no doubt. In my further reading I ran across an idea that touched me and made me consider. I came to the handgun / carry ccw game late. So some of my dexterity and eyesight is weaker than some of the others. But I hit fairly well all considered. What made me sit up and take notice was, if I learn to shoot the little J like it is; this will probably go a long way to make me a better marksman.

So nuff said. I will think on these points and the ones you posted for sure. But one thing is for certain. A Smith will never be a Ruger and vice versa.

Thanks for the thoughts.

rd

Last edited by Rhetorician; 12-26-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: edit