View Single Post

Old 12-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Liked 150 Times in 60 Posts
Default .44 special loads with 240gr Jacketed bullets?

Hello everyone.

I have searched for hours for a load that sends a 240gr, jacketed (copper coated?) bullet at 875 to 900 fps. I am using a 4" S&W M624, with Berry Bullets (240gr FP).

If anyone has a clean burning load, could you let me know? Thanks.

Now, some of you might ask:
"Why not just shoot LSWC and use the infinite amount of data available everywhere?" Well, the indoor range doesn't allow lead bullets.

"Why do you ask for a clean burning load?" I know, I know, I clean my guns after I shoot anyway. Here's the scoop, I get the feeling that the indoor range really doesn't like the idea of handloads, but they let some of us gray-haired guys go ahead with it. Because of that, I don't want to create a smoke cloud after every shot that advertises the fact that I am shooting handloads. I already have IMR4756 and Accurate#5 on my shelf, but I am not against buying another powder. The IMR4756 propels a 200gr GDHP at 900 and is very clean. (From LEE loading data)

When I had my model 29, I would use Winchester 452AA ands 473AA for most of my plinking loads. I sold my M29 around 1988 or so, and the notebook with that data is long gone, too. Not that it matters because the 452AA and 473AA powders are also gone. That was some clean burning stuff. Anyway, I recently picked up this M624 and I am trying to get a load with a smidge more energy than a modern 45ACP defense factory load. I should be able to do that without even coming close to hurting this modern gem.