View Single Post

Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Liked 72 Times in 20 Posts

Don't be too quick to discount the .380. With the correct ammo it can be a very effective self defense round. The best carry ammo is Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast lead. This bullet will penetrate through heavy layers of clothing and through rib bones to reach the vitals. 380 hollow points could possibly fill up with clothing material causing them to loose penetration ability. Another consideration is how well you can access and shoot your 380. I recently had the opportunity to take a small pistol/pocket pistol class at a local range. We engaged targets from long distance (maybe 50') to as close as 9'. I was very disappointed with my ability to draw and fire my pocket 380 at nine feet. (turning targets with a two second presentation as I recall) I will still carry my 380 but I plan on carrying my Shield more than I used to.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=127

"This 380 Auto+P ammo will better all American made 380 Auto ammo by 150 fps to 200 fps in all bullet weights we make. This is a serious improvement in this typically anemic cartridge. This 380 auto+P ammo is more powerful than the typical 38SPL ammo made by most American ammo makers and you'll get 7 shots of it in a small/flat/light weight 380 versus 5 shots out of a bulkier 38 SPL J frame revolver. Additionally, with the 380 you'll get much faster reloads and the little magazines are flatter than a speed-loader used for a J frame."

The course I took

Center Target Sports - Defense with Pocket/Compact guns CTS-240

My Kahr P380 with the Buffalo Bore hardcast defensive ammo