View Single Post

Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 AM

Liked 91 Times in 47 Posts
Default J Frame Load

I have experimented a bit on finding a load that is comfortable for me and my wife to practice with. I learned quick it doesn't do any good for her or me frankly to have a big boom and lots or recoil. The pistol is a 642 with CT's.

Missouri 148 DEWC lead double ended wad cuter. 3.5 of 231 shoots real nice and at 10 yards I can stay on a 12 X 12 plate. The wife shoots it at 5 yards on paper ( don't like to sheet steel at 5 yards ). Step it up to 4.0 231 very noticeable increase in power and recoil I can still stay on the plate but I do have to concentrate more. I carry this as my every day defense load.

158 SWC lead 3.5 231 still does a good job I still can stay on the 12 X 12 plate at 10 yards. Up the load to 4.0 once again noticeable increase in power and recoil. Like the load above I have to concentrate more. My wide doesn't like the extra recoil so I keep the 148's DEWC with 4.0 as the every day load in the pistol.

The 3.5 of 231 with the 148 is a sweet practice rd that too me anyway is comfortable to shoot.

She has severely reduced eyesight, in bright daylight she does fairly well, good thing is she can see the red dot indoors and I have no doubt the length of the living room she could give someone a bad day.

Dan