View Single Post

Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Liked 26,309 Times in 9,122 Posts

I have/do own both Marlin 1894's and Rossi 92's (See above for lots of opinions) I have owned other brands and models but not in 38/357.

The 1873 Winchester copy is a very good action, but is very particular about overall length. Mine is in 44 Special,and is one of my favorites.

The Colt Lightning copies (mine was in 45 Colt and by Taurus), in straight wall cartridges, they tend to blow powder in your face! (a common complaint about all originals too). A friend has 2 Berettas in 44-40 and has no problems.

1894 Winchester, best friend had one, I thought the quality was lacking. Feeding issues were common.

Of the Marlin 94 and the 92, the Marlin is much (by 2 or 3 times) easier to take apart for a detail cleaning.
On safeties: I have owned both brands with and without the external safeties. They only effect the appearance, not the performance! (Marlins have a set screw to disable the push button).
There are more accessories for Marlins than 92's, If you like extra sights and stuff.

If you own any other Marlin lever action, most springs and screws are interchangeable, which keeps spares to a minimum. 92's very from brand to brand.
This applies to Marlin 1894 in 357 ONLY. They will develop a problem with the elevator at 1000 rounds plus. The paw on the lever rides/pushes the elevator from the bottom and wears a "trench" in it, causing the gun to feed 357's but not 38 specials. Welding or epoxying a hardened shim is the fix or replacement. (Factory only parts are always harder to get from Remington!)

Currently the 357 Marlin is the most sought after lever gun on the market. That drove prices up and availability down.

I hope my experience will help you get the most enjoyment out of your purchase. Ivan
The Following User Likes This Post: