View Single Post

Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 PM

Liked 29,111 Times in 14,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbocious View Post
So I took my new (very old) model 1913 to the range with the Buffalo Ammo I mentioned. Gun cycled flawlessly and with a beautiful clean trigger break. The ammo cycled perfectly as well. but about half or more of the shots left keyhole holes in the target at 25 feet. Not sure why...maybe the bullets are not really the full proper diameter (the bore looks very clean and rifling is distinct), or the bullet construction is off balance. Accuracy is pretty variable. I can easily hit a sub-1 inch group of 5 with most modern guns, but this had about a 4 inch group. Recoil is very mild, and the ammo is fairly smoky.

But all in all, who cares! This is a cool collector pistol that does work, but I probably won't shoot 100 more rounds over the next 10 years.
Did you pull a bullet to see what its diameter at the base was? Or to see if it was a FMJ ullet? Even though the given bullet diameter for the .35 is .308, the factory bullets used for the .35 S&W were not full metal jacketed. Only the ogive area was metal-capped. The base (in contact with the bore) was soft lead. I suspect that upon firing, the lead cylindrical portion of the original factory bullet probably upset to fill the bore. My limited experiences with my .35 pistol was with cast lead .309 bullets in .32 ACP brass. I do not remember any bullet keyholes with those.