View Single Post

Old 02-08-2015, 09:29 PM

Liked 28,085 Times in 8,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt JL View Post
rather looked as if those LDH hadn't been pressurized yet. THey don't kink like that with water in them. I always thought one of the best parts of being a Firefighter is that you get to break stuff. Us cops always have to write a report if we break stuff. The Fire guys just go back to the House, take a shower, eat something, and go back to sleep! (I keed, I keed!!)
Once you open the hydrant, that hose is getting all the pressure it's going to get. The pressure out of the hydrant is dependent upon what the municipal water system can provide, and can't be increased or decreased easily by the system, if at all. You take what you can get. The kinks in the hose impede the pressure delivered to the engine intake, which is why firefighters try to minimize the kinks and turns. They don't straighten out if there's not enough space to do so, no matter how much pressure is at the hyrdrant. A car blocking the hydrant causes trouble in making a straight run to the engine intake, which is why some of the previous pictures display an engine not getting much water at all.

Last edited by Muss Muggins; 02-08-2015 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: