View Single Post

Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullh View Post
The whole point is:

1) I have never seen a scoped rifle with iron sights, except a .22 with see-thru rings.
You haven't seen many rifles then. Lots of guys have iron sights on scoped rifles. When I worked at Academy and mounted scopes, if the sight didn't interfere with the scope, we left the sights on the rifle. Maybe your .300 WSM didn't come with sights, but the .30-06 Remington 700 does.

Quote:
2) Putting see-thru rings on a rifle puts the scope way above the bore which defeats cheek weld and on hard-kicking rifles, torques the scope tube.
Nobody stated see-thru rings...

Quote:
3) What am I to do if I drop my Remington 700 in .300 WSM and break my scope? I have no iron sights to fall back to...oooooh the humanity!
You walk back to the truck and get your spare rifle, just like I do.

Quote:
You want the scope to be low in relation to the bore axis for many of those reasons. Cramming stuff under the scope makes the rig awkward and inefficient.

Here's an example of an AR I have with a 3x32 Nikon scope on it...note the ABSENCE of iron sights...
The rear sights on my AR would fit just fine under those scopes with those mounts. That mount puts the center of your scope real close to the same height as the center of a rear sight on an AR.

Quote:
Even if you were to put flip-up sights under your scope, how are you going to flip them up without taking the scope off?

Your "special-ops seconds count tactical advantage" just evaporated...

Check...and...mate...
As Rastoff pointed out, I said that if you are not going to use a quick disconnect type of mount, it really serves no purpose to have them on there.

I agree with you for the most part about not having back up sights on a rifle with magnified optics, just not how you arrived at your conclusion. In some limited scenarios, they could be advantageous. But, if the OP wants them on his rifle, it can be done.