Thread: Folding knives
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 576 Times in 280 Posts

It was common for all boys to have a pocket knife when I was a kid. I can remember playing mumblypeg(sic?) in the school yard during recess in elementary school. My dad and all the men I knew carried a pocket knife just like they all wore a watch. Dad was a man of modest means so he had a Timex and a well worn Camillus Boy Scout type knife...I still have that old Camillus and the main blade is worn way down with sharpening and stained nearly black since it is a carbon steel blade.

I carry two knives, sometimes three, whenever I leave the house. These days, I usually have a SAK Tradesman in my pocket and a Spyderco Paramilitary clipped in the same pocket. Frequently, my Emerson CQC-10 is in my right hand back pocket. I have many knives, folding and fixed blades. I also have hatchets, machetes, swords, tomahawks and even a couple spears...None are wall hangers.

Around the house, I usually carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt plain edge. It's lightweight and it can't rust. I live near the Atlantic where the air is salty...One knife to do everything with, from opening boxes to dressing deer? To me, that's like wanting one gun that can do it all...I suppose one of my four inch K frames or Security Sixes in .357 COULD pretty much do everything I need a handgun to do but I like having choices. I don't know anyone who has only one knife and one gun. There are many choices when it comes down to both but knives are fun because I can afford to buy various knives...not really expensive knives I would be afraid to use...and I can buy them via internet and have them delivered to my house. When I travel, I like to go to knife shops and get something...Smokey Mountain Knife Works is one of my favorite places to visit.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: