Thread: Folding knives
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Liked 6,630 Times in 1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCurl View Post
Well, mine's not an antique, but it is a folder with bone scales. So I'm in the game.

This is my Case canoe folder I have carried every day since about 1982. It is part of me. If I put my hand in my right front pocket and it's not there I immediately feel that something is wrong.

The bone scales have worn down to the point of being just smooth. All the original relief is gone. The bolsters, rivets, and shield are all proud. This knife stays sharp with my regular attention, and I have just about sunk the bottom of the Indian's canoe over the many years. I can't say how many deer I have gutted and skinned with this knife, nor how many squirrels. Two elk have known this knife; the first in 1987 and the second in 1992. There's no reason to carry a big belt knife.

The larger blade measures 2-1/2" from bolster to tip. The knife is 6-1/8" overall when open; 3-5/8" closed. It is the old version with a single back spring, so it is nice and thin. It balances perfectly. I wouldn't trade it for a truckload of Bucks, Spydercos, Gerbers, Shrades, etc. It's my knife.

And here's how it looks to me:

Curl
Now that is a knife. I collect antique Case knives, and this one intrigues me. I have always admired guns and knives that have to work for a living. Yours have character in spades. So many knives have no history. My main carry knife was a Case Tested (1920-1940) green bone handled 2 blade folder. It has known many deer, elk, and antelope.
The Following User Likes This Post: