Thread: Folding knives
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

And, for Brother bhayles:

Quote:
I believe Yoda started this thread because of me...he saw me flailing around in another thread trying to figger out what knife I want. Thanks, Yoda.
Glad to assist.

Quote:
I don't have a clue what knife I want, but I know what I want it to do.
That's a great start.

Quote:
1. First, I want a good knife but am not looking for the "right" name to be on it I want it to do a job, not impress anyone with my choice of brands.
As a rule, however, except for the custom made knives, etc., you will be best served by obtaining a top brand of knife. There are inexpensive brands that are easy to find but the top brands got there for a reason.

Quote:
2. Good quality probably goes without saying. Without going crazy, I'd rather spend a bit more once than have to spend less but do it over and over.
See the answer to number 1.

Quote:
3. I would prefer either pocket or clip carry...I really don't want a case hanging on my belt if I can get what I want without the belt case. It will probably be a clip on rather than pocket because what I want takes a bit of size.
All are good options. A case/sheath on your belt is annoying if it's large, unless it's a machete-type of tool, or a Bowie, and you're in the forests or such and need that kind of tool.

Quote:
4. I like (but am not married to) the tactical appearance (black nylon?) but not a skeleton.
Join the club - and it's a big club! Cold Steel, Spyderco, SOG, Gerber, the list of good, tactical folders is VERY long.

Quote:
5. Probably a single blade thumb opening lock blade, but you guys might show me a reason for something else. (I also have to consider the knife laws in Georgia, which I am looking into now.)
I like folders that open with a thumbhole like Spydercos or with a stud, like so many other companies use.

OCGA 16-11-127.1 on GeorgiaPacking.org

There's your current GA law on the subject. Looks like the lebgth of a blade is somewhat restrictive. Texas says 5.5 inches. Georgia says 2 inches.

Quote:
6. I'll probably carry it hunting so something for cleaning game is a plus.
Tactical folders will work but a folder is not really good for that. Too much junk gets into the mechanism.

Quote:
7. I want something that would be good in a 3 day bag as well as my pocket...everything from cutting cord to build a shelter to cutting small branches...SMALL branches...to use to build a fire or support a small tarp shelter.
If you'll only have one you'll have to make some compromises but any good, quality knife will cut cords and small branches.

Quote:
8. No whittling, fingernail clipping, etc.
Those are purpose built knives. Tactical folders have a different purpose. I don't know how to get around that 2" restriction but a folder in your pocket or day bag is easy; for woods work I prefer a fixed blade.

Quote:
9. Just a good EDC knife.
Keep reading here and listen to what folks say.

**GRJ**
The Following User Likes This Post: