Thread: Folding knives
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2015, 01:41 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Shouldazagged-

Was that guide's name Ralph Young? Just guessing. I think he took out Warren Page for bear when Page was at Field & Stream.

I do carry knives daily, even at home. The right pants pocket gets a Swiss Army knife (SAK) because whenever I carry a stockman or trapper pattern, I always need some tool that I'd have had on a SAK.

Which SAK depends on the day and the anticipated need. Usually it's a Spartan; has been a Soldier on occasion. I think the former Soldier is now the Pioneer. Silver Alox scales and thicker blades than on most Victorinox knives. I gave my son my Soldier/Pioneer on his last visit, but may replace it.

If I want a smaller knife in my pocket, I have three examples of the Executive model: two red and one black. That gives a choice of colors and spares. A little Classic rides in the inside vest pocket of most coats. It's handy to reach there if seated and often opens mail. It provides scissors if I don't have them on a larger knife that day, and the Spartan does lack scissors.

I carry a larger, locking blade knife in a discreet black Cordura belt pouch that most observers probably mistake for a cellphone. Tonight, it's a full size Gerber Combat Folder, my usual at-home knife in that role. I sometimes wear the medium sized Covert model, pictured in Guy - Harold's post.
I sometimes clip the small one (Mini Covert?) to an inside coat pocket, but not in lieu of the larger. Neither the large Combat Folder or the medium Covert has a clip now. I don't carry them that way, and the handle doesn't feel good in the hand with the clip.

When I go out, I worry that the Gerbers might impress a cop as being a folding form of a Bowie, stiletto, poniard, or dagger or stiletto, all prohibited here. Having Combat Folder marked right on the blade does leave that impression! So I wear a Benchmade Model 710 or a Puma lockblade, either the Model 0921 or a copy of the Buck Model 110, but with white Micarta scales.

My belt folder has to be large enough to kill a dog or person who attacks, and we've seen a coyote here, too. But it may also cut a seat belt in event of a car accident.

I have a friend in Sweden who writes fan fiction about the TV show, "Criminal Minds." Given her moderate difficulty in English, she does a good job. She just had a chapter where Spcl. Agent Emily Prentiss had to run to an FBI car and rummage in the first aid kit there for scissors, to cut free a kidnapping victim tied to a chair in a house about to explode from a bomb placed right by the victim. She succeeded, but if she'd had a knife on her, it'd have saved vital minutes. An episode of that show also showed an agent who sent another to a car to get his Swiss Army knife from the glove box. Why do these people not have knives in their pockets or purses? Don't most real agents, the men, anyway?

I doubt that I'll have as dramatic a need for a knife as they do, but it's on me, if needed. I have faced down a couple of dogs with knives and stopped three thuggish men in their tracks by opening a Henckels lockblade of the sort carried by many German hunters. (At that time, there were no concealed carry handgun licenses in Texas.)

I have too many knives to discuss all here tonight. I haven't even had dinner yet, and it's nearly midnight. Within reach of me at the computer now are a Spyderco Delica, a Spyderco Endura, a Wenger SAK, and a Grohmann Russell Canadian Boat Knife. A Fallkniven A-1 is close, too. (But so is a CZ-75B 9mm and I'd reach for it before I would the A-1 if someone was forcing entry.)

I've carried pocketknives since I was a kid, and you could do that at school then. I'd hate to be without them. I prefer sheath knives (fixed blades) for outdoors work.

My son usually has a Benchmade locker with a tanto shaped blade and a multitool. I think he should have a SAK, but he seldom carries one. His wife has a Camillus Barracuda (?) that I gave her. My daughter has a Victorinox Executive in her purse. She especially likes the scissors. I'll give knives to a couple of my grandsons. My brother and his sons never carry knives. They have a sort of soft-shoe mentality that precludes them carrying any "weapon". That just baffles me. I can't say more on this board about the underlying issues with them. But it vexes me.

I love good knives. I tend to sharpen blades on ceramic rods to avoid wearing the steel down. I occasionally oil the joints on folders and oil blades, lest they rust.

I don't understand people who'll pay a lot to see a movie or a football game, but who shirk at spending much money on a good knife that'll last a lifetime.

Last edited by Texas Star; 02-19-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Clarity and spelling; added a little, too.
The Following User Likes This Post: