Thread: Folding knives
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Liked 469 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
How severe are South African knife laws? I gather that the SAK's are no problem, but that the Spyderco is iffy? Does it vary by province? Can you carry in Durban what you could in Johannesburg or Cape Town? What about fixed blade knives?
Surely, hunters must carry them.

Do you know about a game ranger there named Harry Wolhuter knifing a lion that was dragging him off to eat? The hide of the lion was on display at Kruger Natl. Park for years, but Wolhuter's injured shoulder never healed right. That's where the lion grabbed him. He stabbed it in the heart with his other hand. The knife was by I. Williams, a London maker, similar to the American Dadley pattern Green River knife. Blade was six inches. Williams's knives were marketed as the Pipe brand, also. It was a type widely used by butchers to "stick" animals such as sheep.

I've read Wolhuter's own account of this and it was a pretty stirring bit of prose. If you've been to Kruger, is that knife and hide still there?
There are laws relating carrying dangerous weapons particularly to public meetings like protests or demonstrations for example. Self defense is not a reason for carrying a knife for example, you must justify why you are carrying it, e.g. as a tool.

A dagger, i.e. two sided blade is by law a dangerous weapon so that's a no-no. Single sided blades less than 10cm long is not regarded as a dangerous weapon.

The law applies throughout the country but there is no guarantee that specific policeman is conversant with the specifics of the law relating to knives so it's best to avoid trouble.

I can't comment on the Kruger National Park. It is vast with numerous "camps". I haven't heard about the hunter either but that is some feat. I've been around some lions up to 3 months old and they're pretty powerful so an adult would be vicious. The roar of a lion can be felt inside your body... they exude power.
The Following User Likes This Post: