View Single Post

Old 03-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Liked 39 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abflyboy View Post
I have had similar issues with my Glock 42. Long story short, much of the available ammunition is not running at SD velocity and won't fully cycle the slide 100%.

The G42 and BG are both designed primarily as SD pistols and have heavier recoil springs installed which will cause issues with some of the 'plinker' loads that we practice with.

I hate having trust issues with a firearm that was purchased for SD duty and it will probably take a few thousand rounds with zero malfunctions before I decide to EDC my G42. If it keeps giving me fits, it's gone.
I have had similar issues with G42. I decided to go with the G42 over the BG380 for a couple reasons. For one was not looking for CCW as the primary role. already had a shield for ccw. was actually looking at 380 because i wanted something softer shooting than 9mm and the G42 is larger than other 380's. The other deciding fact was reading threads like this, about people having problems with the BG380. Light primer strikes, FTF, FTE, pins walking themselves out.

When it comes to full size M&Ps I think S&W can beat Glock pound-for-pound. Equal reliability with superior ergos. However, Smith and Wesson's 380 offering just isn't as well refined as Glock.

That said, I have been disappointed with the G42 too. The spring is just too heavy. I understand you want something that will allow you to use hot self defense rounds and not beat the gun up too much, but someone REALLY needs to come out with a lower lb. spring for people that want to use target rounds or reloads.

It's really annoying when I can buy 8 different types of .380 loads from different manufacturers and only 4 or 5 of them will cycle in the gun.

I have been waiting for Galloway Precision to come out with new lower # recoil spring assemblies but I think they're still working on them. Who knows if they will ever see the light of day. It's a tough world for 380. Part of me wishes I had gone Sig P238.