View Single Post

Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why I don't like magazine safeties...

First of all, I realize that this is a 3-year old thread, but it is an issue that is still being debated. That said, I agree... there are valid arguments both for and against the "technology." I'll give you my reason for NOT wanting a magazine disconnect:

First of all, I'll tell you that I live in California where I currently don't have a choice with most pistols; buy one in California and you're going to get a magazine disconnect and an LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). This was the case when I bought my Ruger LC9 (just before it fell off the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California). One of the first things I did after receiving the pistol, was remove the mag disconnect. This is a VERY simple process in an LC9 which can be done in only a few minutes. This is my EDC pistol which I carry in an N82 Professional holster. (For those who aren't familiar, go to N82 Tactical).

Although pistols are "drop-tested" before being certified for sale in CA, the test is only to prove (or disprove) that the gun will not fire from such an impact. My concern was if the magazine might be released from a drop. After removing & reinserting my loaded magazine into my pistol (making sure that the catch had a full, positive hold), I dropped the gun on the carpet of my bedroom from about 3 feet from a drawing stance. I had planned on giving it 10 or 20 drops from slightly different holds to give my "test" a fair shake. On the very first drop, my magazine had released. That was the moment that sealed my decision NOT to have a magazine disconnect: In the heat of a confrontation, it is even more likely that I may fumble and drop my firearm while drawing. If that magazine releases in a situation like that, I will lose the opportunity to fire my one chambered round.