Thread: 640 .38 ?
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2015, 09:49 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,922 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallen View Post
. . . I am looking at purchasing a 640-1 today that has CEN as the serial prefix. If CEN was used as an introductory number of the model and the 640-1 came after the 640, why does it have CEN in the serial number? . . .
I don't know the answer but can speculate.

We do know . . .
(1) The 640 was introduced in 1989 with early production using the CEN s/n prefix to commemorate the CENtennial;
(2) the 640-1 was introduced in 1996 on the newly designed J magnum frame and introduced in 357 magnum, and
(3) it wasn't until late 2000 or early 2001 that CEN prefix came up in the normal alphabetic rotation.

Theory . . . the factory didn't use up all 10,000 CEN-prefix serial numbers in 1989-1990 so when it came up in normal rotation in late 2000 they used the rest of the number combinations. (we've been told many times the factory didn't waste anything so perhaps that applied to serial numbers as well )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallen View Post
. . . Also, this particular 640-1 has two rectangular (ish) ports at the tip of the barrel. I was at a different gun store yesterday and they had the same handgun with the ported barrel like the one I was purchasing. The serial number of that one had a serial prefix of CAP. The gentleman at the shop told me that this one was a Performance Series 640-1 . I asked how he knew that and he said it was because of the porting. Is that a correct statement?

Are both of these 640-1's Performance Series?
You didn't mention if the 640-1 Centennials you were looking at were both on the J-magnum frame with 2 1/8" bbl and chambered in 357 magnum but . . . assuming they are . . .

The CEN s/n prefix example may have been ported by a previous owner or there was a special Performance Center run that isn't documented in Chapter X of the Standard Catalog of S&W 3rd edition.

The CAP s/n prefix example would have been circa Feb 1996 and in 1996 the Performance Center did produce an RSR Special that was Mag-Na-Ported. They reportedly had Heritage walnut grips and an unfluted cylinder with a glass bead finish.

That is what little I know . . . and a lot I don't . . . but offer up for discussion. Perhaps others have examples to add.

Russ