View Single Post

Old 03-15-2015, 10:06 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 26,153 Times in 5,958 Posts
Default My 10 year old, takes the challenge!

Doug (Rastoff) should be awarded some forum "Legion Of Merit" for encourging this. What a service to us all. I just realized that I can't recall a day of shooting I have enjoyed more, other than years ago with my beloved, but long dead father. Funny that an old man, still tears up realizing he is missing his own dad.

My 10 year old (I am a very late in life, first-time father/single parent with a 10 year old at 53) and I got up to our ranch and shot all afternoon. Here he is with our beloved Model 28, Highway Patrolman, SN # S1139xx, which I understand to be first year of production, 1954-55. He did take the challenge shooting .38 Special.

Isn't it amazing that a revolver manufactured 50 years before he was born still shoots like new and can bring him such joy? I think this is a true testament to the Smith & Wesson company, and these guns we love so much. How many companies are still having their products loved, cherished and used in the field decades later? Not many. I wish I could shake Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson's hands and thank them in person. I hope they are smiling down from heaven.

My son looked at me coming home--we had the roof down on our Jeep and it was about 65 degrees with a beautiful sunset--and he said "dad, this has been one of the funnest days we have ever spent together. And that Highway Patrolman is my new favorite gun." I am going to order some ivory stocks for the Model 28 and give it to my son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (188.3 KB, 166 views)